Internet Explorer support ending
As of January 1st, 2020, PlayNow.com no longer provides browser support for IE 11. If you choose to use IE 11 we cannot guarantee you will be able to login or use the site. We advise you switch to the latest version of either Edge, Firefox or Chrome.
PlayNow.com launches in Manitoba
January 23, 2013
Manitobans can now play with confidence at a safe, secure and local online gambling site
Winnipeg, Manitoba - Manitoba's first regulated online gambling site - PlayNow.Com, launched today. Manitobans now have a safe and secure way to play a hand of poker or enjoy the excitement of roulette - online in Manitoba.
PlayNow.com offers a range of games that are both new and familiar to Manitobans, including live poker, video poker, slots, Blackjack and roulette, as well as live sports betting on a variety of leagues, tournaments and events. Players can look forward to live bingo and the availability of lottery products arriving later in 2013.
"We are pleased to offer Manitobans a reputable and safe online gambling option," said Winston Hodgins, President and CEO of Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries. "Players can be confident in the extensive safety and security measures that are in place to protect their personal information, their bets and their deposits." But what really sets PlayNow.com apart is that players must register to play using an account based system. This provides an excellent environment to encourage responsible play with customized responsible gambling tools and information.
"PlayNow.com offers our customers some truly distinctive products, such as live poker that connects players from Manitoba, British Columbia and Quebec," says Carolin Taubensee, Executive General Manager, eGaming at Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries. "We are confident that Manitobans will really enjoy playing on this exciting site, which is based on British Columbia Lottery Corporation's (BCLC) PlayNow.com platform. Manitoba residents who are 18 years or older may register to play on the site.
Revenues from PlayNow.com will be reinvested into Manitoba communities. Three percent of online gambling net income will be provided to the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba and two percent will be committed to Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries' responsible gambling initiatives. The Province will allocate fifteen percent to support expanded provincial programming for Aboriginal sport and recreational activities. The remaining revenue will be directed to the Province of Manitoba to support priority programing in health care, education, community and social services and economic development.
Click here to see the original announcement of online gambling in Manitoba.
For more information:
BCLC Media Relations
Backgrounder: Online Gambling
- Since 2004, PlayNow.com in British Columbia has offered a safe, secure, regulated website for players. In 2010, BCLC began offering online casino games to players and in February 2011, together with Loto-Quebec, began offering peer-to-peer poker. Click here for more information.
- Manitoba's PlayNow.com joins several regulated sites that are currently offered or planned for the near future in Canada, including those in British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces. Manitoba's site is regulated by the Manitoba Gaming Control Commission.
- PlayNow.com offers several benefits over grey-market gambling websites:
- A regulated environment offers game integrity and ensures fair games
- Players can be confident in the payout of wins and access to their online funds.
- Safety measures include age and residency verification.
- Security measures include personal data protection.
- Effective, evidence-based features promote responsible play.
- Access to problem gambling resources is available.
- Revenue stays in Manitoba and supports our communities. In 2011 alone, Manitobans spent an estimated $37 million in online gambling.
- Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries' site includes many features to help Manitobans play responsibly:
- Mandatory player registration
- Process to prevent access by underage players
- Real-time display of time and cash spent playing
- Limit-setting (limit options vary by game type)
- Weekly deposit limit
- 24-hour cooling off period to increase deposit limit
- Information and tips on responsible play
- Information and links to problem gambling support
- Play history reports to monitor spending
- Voluntary Self-Exclusion program
- Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries supports responsible play by investing 2% of the corporation's net income to developing problem gambling prevention, awareness and research programs. An additional 3% of net income PlayNow.com is committed to the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba.