What Information do we collect?
We collect information about you when you register, when you communicate with Customer Support and when you sign in and use the Sites. Some of the information collected is personal information (i.e. information about an identifiable individual) and other information is anonymous or collected in aggregate. BCLC is required to comply with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, British Columbia, when collecting, using, managing and safeguarding personal information.
Personal and other information
We collect the following types of information on the Sites:
- Contact: Name, address, telephone number, email address.
- Identity verification and registration: date of birth, gender, user name, answers to security questions, password, credit card information.
- Transaction: Bank account information, transaction and play data, play preferences.
- Communication: Customer support questions and requests, in-game chats.
- Publicity: Photograph, name, geographical location of residence of winners.
- Location: IP address, location coordinates.
- Survey and contests: Survey responses, demographic information (such as postal code and age group), feedback, contest entry and contact information.
Cookies and other Technologies
Cookies are intended to enhance your experience on the Sites and the administration of the Sites. Different types of cookies are used for different reasons, including:
- Personalizing and retaining your settings: if you are remembered as a visitor to the Sites, your settings may be retained whenever you access the Sites e.g. game preferences.
- Log in credentials: we store an encrypted cookie once you have logged in. These cookies allow you to navigate pages on the Sites without repeatedly logging in again.
- Customize content and advertising: cookies enable us to serve you customized content that is aligned with your browsing habits e.g. if you indicate an interest in Sports products by clicking on Sports related pages, we may make suggestions on new Sports games or serve you advertisements compatible with this interest. It also helps us to manage advertisement frequency;
- Analytics: information is collected anonymously or in aggregate to gauge the effectiveness of the Sites and to better understand our visitors, such as which pages of the Sites are visited, how many visitors access the pages on the Sites, which areas of the Sites are clicked on more frequently and the referral websites from which visitors arrive at the Sites. This information helps us to make improvements to the Sites. We use tools such as Google Analytics and Mouseflow for this purpose.
You may control and disable cookies using your browser settings. If you disable some or all cookies you may still use the Sites; however, your ability to use the Sites will be limited and you won't be able to log in.
If you'd like to opt out of having your information tracked by Google Analytics, download the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on. If you'd like to opt out of information tracked by Mouseflow, turn on the 'do not track' option in your browser or follow Mouseflow's opt out instructions.
We partner with third party marketing and advertising organizations to either display advertising on the Sites or to manage our advertising on other websites. Our third party partners may use technologies such as cookies and eTags to gather information about your activities on the Sites and other websites in order to provide you with advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. If you do not wish to have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here.
Web beacons, also called clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier that are embedded invisibly on pages on the Sites. We use this tool to help us deliver cookies and to understand the usage on the Sites e.g. which pages are being accessed more frequently. This helps us to better manage content on the Sites. We do not identify individuals when using web beacons on pages on the Sites.
We also use web beacons in our HTML-based emails and newsletters to let us know which emails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns and make improvements where necessary.
We gather certain information automatically and store it in log files, such as internet protocol (IP) addresses, location coordinates, operating system, date/time stamp, device make and model, player ID and transaction activities and winnings. This information is only used to monitor activity on our systems for security and fraud investigation purposes and to ensure we comply with applicable laws. We do not use or combine this information with other identifiable information we collect about you without your consent.
We acquire location information (i.e. IP addresses and location coordinates) when you log in and periodically while you are logged in to ensure players are accessing their account from within British Columbia due to our legal obligations, and where necessary, to assist in security and fraud investigations. This information may also be collected in aggregate format for analytical purposes.
In order to access your account (e.g. to view your transactions, play games or purchase lottery tickets), location services on your device must be turned on. You also have the option to turn off location services on your device or deny the permission request for location when logging in. This will result in you not being able to access your account but you will still be able to view the Sites.
We do not use or combine this information with other identifiable information we collect about you without your consent unless required for security and fraud investigations and to comply with applicable laws.
We use local shared objects, also known as Flash Cookies, to store your preferences (such as volume control) or to display content based upon what you view on our site to personalize your visit. Our third party vendors use LSOs such as HTML 5 or Flash to collect and store information to provide certain features on our Sites or to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity.
Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs. You can also follow Adobe's instructions for managing Flash LSO.
Links to Other Sites and Social Media Features
Our Sites may contain links to and content of other websites, and social media features (such as the Facebook Like button and the Twitter Tweet button) that are not owned or controlled by BCLC. These third party websites and social media features may collect information such as your IP address or location co-ordinates, which page you are visiting on the Sites, and may set a cookie to enable the features to function properly.
These other websites, content and features are governed by the respective third party's privacy policies and BCLC is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites, content and features.
What are the purposes for collecting my personal information?
Your personal information is collected and used primarily to enable you to enjoy playing on the Sites and to maintain the security of the Sites.
In greater detail, your personal information is used for the following purposes:
- to register you for the Sites, which includes: ensuring you meet the age (19+) and residency (BC residents only) requirements and accessing your credit file (only for identity verification and not as a credit check. This will not affect your credit rating or credit score);
- identifying you when you first register, subsequently log in or make queries about your account;
- to administer your account, complete transactions and provide you with information and access to the Sites and the products you have requested;
- to facilitate deposits into your PlayNow account and to facilitate withdrawals from your bank account (if you request this);
- to provide assistance and support to you when using the Sites, such as when you initiate a live chat session;
- to communicate with you about your account, including providing you with security information, transaction information and to respond to your requests;
- to send you electronic promotional communications (if you consent);
- to administer promotions and contests that you enter (including, contacting you if you win);
- for conducting and inviting you to participate in research and surveys (including, compiling research and survey results to better understand our players so that we may enhance our products, services and the Sites);
- to administer responsible gambling programs (if you enrol in the program);
- for winner publicity purposes including publishing winners' names, photographs, amounts won and geographical location of residences in accordance with the terms of the PlayNow.com Player Agreement and the Rules and Regulations Respecting Lotteries and Gaming. Winners' stories and videos are also published for marketing purposes with additional consent;
- to customize the content and delivery of our products and services;
- to maintain the security of the Sites, including ensuring only you access your account and for investigating fraudulent activity;
- to determine your location to ensure you are accessing your account from BC as we are required by law to ensure you are playing within BC; and
- to enforce our agreements, to comply with applicable laws and legal processes, including, providing information as required by our regulators, law enforcement or other government agencies.
Who has access to my personal information and where is it stored?
We will only disclose your personal information to those individuals and organizations who need to access your information in order to provide services related to PlayNow. This includes third parties who we contract with including, an online betting platform provider, identity verification provider, payment processor, email service solution, a mobile vendor and research companies. We will not sell your personal information.
The authorized third party service providers and the third party services we use are located inside and outside of Canada and/or store and access information both inside and from outside Canada. Your consent is obtained for the disclosure, access from and storage of personal information outside of Canada when you register for the Sites and agree to the PlayNow.com Player Agreement. If you have questions or concerns relating to the location of your personal information, please contact Customer Support.
In addition, we may be required to disclose your personal information to specific parties when required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or a request by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, to protect our rights, protect the security of the Sites and the security of our players, protect your safety and the safety of others, and to investigate fraud. In these limited cases, we may be unable to, or are not permitted to provide prior notice of such disclosure.
Aggregate, non-personally identifiable information is disclosed to our marketing and advertising partners as described in the Behavioural Targeting section above.
How do I access and update my personal information?
You may log into your account at any time to access your information.
To update your information, such as your email address, telephone number and communication preferences, simply log into your account. For address updates, after logging in, you must also provide your credit card information which will help us to verify that only the correct person is updating these details. For all other updates or other questions about accessing your personal information, please contact Customer Support.
If you wish to review additional records containing your personal information, you may be required to submit a formal request by following the steps on the Freedom of Information Requests page
How do you ensure my personal information is secure?
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us. When you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number), the transmission of that information is encrypted using transport layer security (TLS) and our payment processor is required to handle the data in a manner consistent with the Payment Card Industry's Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS).
We ensure there are access controls in place to restrict the viewing and access of your personal information to those individuals who need-to-know the information and to protect the confidentiality of your information.
To safeguard information within our network, we have implemented and employ network security controls, intrusion detection and intrusion prevention systems, logging and monitoring, and vulnerability management. We also employ anti-malware programs, use industry standard encryption, firewalls, store data in secure servers and physically restrict access to our buildings to ensure our systems are reasonably secure.
All employees undergo mandatory privacy and security training and must comply with privacy and information security policies.
BCLC's contracts with third party service providers who handle personal information contain privacy protection provisions to ensure our service providers protect your personal information in an appropriate manner.
To maintain the security of your account, there are also some measures you can take, such as keeping your password and security questions confidential, not sending any sensitive personal information by email (you may use the Site's contact form to securely send information to us), maintaining up-to-date virus protection software and regularly monitoring your account activity.
How do I set my Communications preferences and opt-out?
Upon registration, you can choose whether or not you wish to receive promotional communications about our products and services. You are able to change this preference at any time under Edit Profile on your My Account page.
If you require assistance to change your preferences, please contact Customer Support
How long do you retain my personal information?
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active and as needed to provide services to you. If you decide to cancel your account or if we need to cancel your account (e.g. if you are not complying with the terms of the PlayNow.com Player Agreement), we will retain and limit use of your information as necessary to comply with the applicable retention periods, our legal obligations, to resolve disputes and to enforce agreements.
Who do I contact if I have a privacy concern or other questions?
Contact Customer Support by:
- Completing the contact form on PlayNow.com
- Telephone: 1-877-706-6789
- Using the Live Chat feature
- Mail: BCLC Customer Support at 74 West Seymour Street, Kamloops, BC V2C 1E2
If we are unable to resolve your privacy concerns, you may contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia (OIPC).
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, you may also contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge), TRUSTe.