PlayNow.com Account Privacy & Security
Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries' Commitment to Protect You
PlayNow.com understands how important information security and privacy are to you and we are committed to helping you keep your PlayNow.com experience secure and private. We use state-of-the-art technology and follow numerous security procedures to protect information contained in your PlayNow.com account.
Secure firewalls help prevent unauthorized access to our internal systems.
PlayNow.com's internet firewalls are designed to securely separate the Internet from our internal computer systems and databases.
Data coming from a player's computer via the internet flow through a series of safety checkpoints on the way to our internal systems so that only authorized messages and transactions can enter our computer systems.
Log in Protection
To ensure the integrity of our system and the safety of your information, PlayNow.com uses several layers of robust security mechanisms, technologies and processes.
Personal Verification Questions
When you create a PlayNow.com account you are asked to provide two (2) Personal Verification Questions.
These questions are used to issue a new password online (in the event you forget your original password). Personal Verification Questions are unique to each customer and are not accessible to anyone else. Caution must be exercised when setting up Personal Verification Questions. You must always keep your questions private and avoid using answers that are easily guessed.
A cookie is a small file containing certain pieces of information that a website creates when you visit the site.
An important note about cookies: In order to create a PlayNow.com account and play games on PlayNow.com, your browser must be set to accept cookies. If you are concerned about having your browser enabled to accept cookies while you are surfing other websites, we recommend that you enable your browser to notify you when it is receiving a cookie, so that you can accept or reject any cookie presented by the web server you are visiting. For more information on how to do this, we suggest you use the "help" options offered on your computer itself, or contact the manufacturer of your browser or your Internet Service Provider.
In order to obtain better insight about the use of the site, PlayNow.com enables conversion tracking cookies to be placed on PlayNow.com by Google. For further information about these cookies, including how to opt-out, please see below:
Advertising & Privacy
Secure Browsing through Encryption
The use of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption is used for all PlayNow.com sessions or whenever personal information is requested of you. Encryption encodes the information that flows between your computer and our computer systems making it difficult for unauthorized individuals to intercept, read or alter your online communications and PlayNow.com transactions.
We require that your browser support 128-bit encryption when you access our online services. If your browser does not support 128-bit encryption, you will likely receive an error message when you attempt to sign in to PlayNow.com.
As a PlayNow.com account holder, you play an important role in safeguarding your personal information when playing our games online. You can maximize the security of your online activities by following safe computing practices:
Make sure that you sign out and close your internet browser at the end of each PlayNow.com session.
Stay safe online by keeping your PlayNow.com account password and personal verification questions (and answers) confidential.
Care for your password as you would care for the key to your house. If your password falls into the wrong hands, important personal information may be stolen and someone else may access your account.
You can take a few simple steps to help ensure that your password is protected:
- Make sure to create a different password for each online account you hold.
- Create a more secure password by using a combination of letters and numbers.
- Change your password often.
- Don't share your password with anyone.
- Ensure password auto save is switched off.
You can take a few simple steps to ensure that your account has not been compromised:
- Check your last log on details in your My Account page when you next log on.
- Review your Account history
If you still suspect your account has been compromised contact Customer Support immediately at 1-877-706-6789.
Check for the secure symbol on your browser before playing games or entering personal information. The symbol will look like a key or a padlock, similar to this and will appear either on the very bottom of your browser or in the address bar.
Confirm the validity of the digital certificate and ensure it has been issued from a trusted Certificate Authority, such as VeriSign. This may help you identify fraudulent websites. View the details of the digital certificate by double-clicking on the padlock icon in your browser.
Check the login page you are visiting is legitimate by confirming the website address is correct in the address bar. For example the PlayNow.com secure site will always have the following root contained in the URL structure: https://www.playnow.com/
Although you are located in Manitoba, the PlayNow.com secure site will also identify British Columbia Lottery Corporation (BCLC) as the security certificate holder in your browser's address bar. This is because BCLC operates the PlayNow.com network with the permission of Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corporation (MBLL).
Generally speaking, email is not secure. You should never include your PlayNow.com account information, credit card numbers or passwords in an email. Only general inquiries should be sent from your home or office email address. However, you may send us a personal and confidential message by using PlayNow.com's online feedback form. Messages sent to us through this form are communicated directly to Customer Support and are not sent across the Internet like regular email.
Please do not include your PlayNow.com password in any communication with BCLC or MBLL. Your password is the key to your PlayNow.com account and must be kept secret at all times.
Phishing is a common online scam designed to trick you into disclosing your personal or financial information for the purpose of financial fraud or identity theft.
Here's how it works:
You receive an unsolicited email appearing to be from a legitimate company. A typical phishing email will give you a reason, such as a security breach or contest, to trick you into providing your personal information.
The email will often urge you to click on a link that takes you to a fake website.
That fake website will look authentic by copying the brand name and logo of the real company. This fake site may ask you for personal information such as credit card numbers, account numbers, passwords, date of birth, driver's license number, and social insurance number.
Instead of giving your information to a valid company in good faith, you may actually be providing it to a fraudster and become the victim of a phishing scheme.
Recognizing a phishing email:
- A phishing email often begins with a generic greeting such as "Dear Client" rather than addressing you personally by name.
- Some emails may refer to a "problem" with your account and urge you to access a link to verify your information. BCLC or MBLL (or, by extension, PlayNow.com) will never notify you with a request for personal information through an unsolicited email.
- There is often a sense of urgency in the email encouraging you to deal with the issue immediately.
- Many emails have links that look valid but lead to a fake website. Try moving your mouse over the link in the email until a small box appears displaying the URL (web address). If the web address in the box is different from what you see in the email, the link may lead to a fake site. Do not click on this link.
A fake or "spoofed" website can look just like a company's real site.
Recognizing a fake website:
- Ensure the address in your browser's address bar begins with "https" when entering personal information. That means your information is being secured.
- Always look for the secure symbol (lock icon) on your browser. Double-click the lock to display the security certificate. If there is no lock icon or if you are at all unsure about the information in the certificate do not sign on or enter any personal information.
Protect yourself by following this advice to avoid falling victim to phishing scams:
- Never provide your confidential or financial information over the Internet in response to an unsolicited email.
- If you don't know the source of an email or if it looks suspicious, do not open it.
- Even if you recognize a sender's email address, do not rely on that alone because addresses may be faked. Pay attention to the contents of the email and be careful of any embedded links.
- Never click on a link in an email that you suspect may be fake.
- If you are unsure whether you are on a legitimate website, reopen your internet browser and type the company URL in the address bar yourself.
- Before you enter confidential or financial information online, check for the lock icon on your browser. Ensure the URL in the browser address bar starts with "https".
Just because an email or website appears to be from a legitimate company doesn't mean it is. Phishing schemes are designed to look real to trick users into divulging personal information for the purpose of fraud or identity theft.
Stay safe online by safeguarding your computer against viruses. There are numerous viruses in circulation that threaten to damage your computer or spy on your internet activities. While there is no foolproof way to protect your computer, you can minimize your risk by installing virus protection software. Take full advantage of virus protection by:
- Keeping the virus protection software up-to-date.
- Setting the virus protection software to install updates on a regular basis.
- Use the virus protection software to scan your computer frequently.
Contact PlayNow.com immediately if you know or suspect that your password has become known to someone else, or that there has been suspicious activity in your account that you did not authorize. Customer Support can be reached at 1-877-706-6789.